Statement on the Occupation and Current War in Israel/Palestine

In light of the breakdown of the peace talks, the kidnappings and murders, incitement and calls for vengeance and the current acts of violence, AJDS endorses the Open Letter from Jewish Voice for Peace in the US. The letter calls upon Jewish and Israeli communities to reaffirm that all Israelis and Palestinians deserve security, justice, and equality:

“In this time of tremendous suffering and fear, from Jerusalem to Gaza, and from Hebron to Be’er Sheva, we reaffirm that all Israelis and Palestinians deserve security, justice, and equality, and we mourn all those who have died. 

Our unshakeable commitment to freedom and justice for all compels us to acknowledge that this violence has fallen overwhelmingly on Palestinians. And it compels us to affirm that this violence has a root cause: Israel’s illegal occupation. 

We are united in our belief that: 

The denial of Palestinian human rights must end. 
Illegal settlements must end. 
Bombing civilians must end. 
Killing children must end. 
Valuing Jewish lives at the expense of others must end. 

Only by embracing equality for all peoples can this terrible bloodshed end.”

As Jews we have a responsibility to call upon the government of Israel to act in the best interests both of Palestinians and of Jews and Israelis within and outside Israel, and to choose a path to peace that is supported by the international community.
This is your opportunity to speak out for peace and justice!
We invite you to –
1. Sign the Jewish Voices for Peace Statement.
2. Tell your friends, family and colleagues that you oppose the path that is currently being taken.
3. Send a respectful email to the Israeli embassy and let them know of your opposition: [email protected]
4. Send an email to Julie Bishop, Minister of Foreign Affairs ([email protected])  and the opposition spokesperson on Foreign Affairs, Tanya Plibersek ( and Christine Milne (Greens Leader [email protected]) to voice your opposition to Israeli actions.  Also email your local Federal MP.


Leave a Reply